9.28.2012

Oversharing is Caring

You'll never believe this, folks. The other day I discovered a new route to take to and home from work.  It involves taking a different road that doesn't get as clogged up and somehow times it just right that I hit all the green lights on the Fairfax County Parkway. I was so pleased with this discovery that I called my mom to tell her about it. And then pulled up Google Maps when I got home so that I could show Ian. And will probably be telling everyone at work about it over the next few days when people notice that I am now showing up at 8:57 instead of 9:04.  I'm telling you, this is big news.

What? No? Oh, I forgot. No one cares.

I've always been a believer that, as much as folks might smile and nod their head and even sound excited, no one really cares about your life as much as you do. 

In short, I've got an oversharing problem. 

But here's the thing: I hate when people overshare! I can't handle reading Facebook updates about a new mother's baby and it's every bowel movement. I used to get so irritated when I would hear people at work talking incessantly about their house buying process and pregnancy updates and, in general, grown up things that I feel like I shouldn't be worrying about yet. 

But then I remember that I'm a blogger and I overshare my life on a daily basis.

Example: I take phone portraits of myself in the car when I have a good hair day.


Or how about the house that I briefly mentioned the other day that Ian and I thought we were going to buy until the home inspection was horrendous? Yep, had already told everyone we were basically homeowners. I sent everyone the link, photos I took on my phone, and had started planning the house warming party and telling people they were invited. Whoops. 

Lessons learned: I'm not telling anyone about any more house plans. It's boring to anyone not involved in the process anyway. I probably shouldn't post my embarrassing car self portraits to any public forum (but come on! Those curls were perfect!). Before I tell a story, I will ask myself "Will this be interesting? Am I going to embarrass myself by telling this story?" 

But I will say that sometimes oversharing is caring. Like telling people that eating Fiber One bars will cause the worst gas of your life (even worse than kale). I'm just looking at for you, friends. 


9 comments:

  1. Brenda.. you kill me. You are so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I tend to overshare too! Although I must say, I'm glad you shared that photo because your hair DOES look awesome :) I have a few friends on Facebook that post EVERYTHING THING ABOUT THEIR LIVES. It gets so old. Or they check in everywhere they go. No, I don't care that you're buying bananas at the grocery store.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it's your blog, and you can overshare if you want to!

    I think it's sweet that you shared that route info with your fam and friends - the sign of a giving soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I also can't stand those kinds of people on FB, it drives me nuts!! But hey, your hair does look rather fabulous in that photo :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Win a chain link necklace + Chanel print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i overshare to a fault! i think as long as it's not boring, it's ok to share. house buying isn't boring...and your hair is FABULOUS! so share away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You........look............fabulous! Hmmmm, now I know what happened to Buddha last week (he snitched half of 3M's Fibre One bar and whoaaaaaaaaa NELLY it was bad).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want you to know that I think your new route is AWESOME! I am so glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I take Fairfax County Parkway everyday!

    And your hair looks amazing, so that is totally worth sharing. But I know what you mean. When I was apartment hunting and job searching at the end of my senior year (it seems so long ago!) I had to train myself not to tell anyone anything (except my boyfriend and my mom, haha). It's really difficult. But sometimes I think it's good to pull back, especially if you're like me and sometimes aren't too good with the "thinking before you speak" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bol, Bol. That is short for busted out laughing. I can't stand lol anymore so I came up with Bol. But in order to use it, you have to explain it so I am hoping it catches on soon...lol, I mean Bol. Anyway, Brenda you are funny. Thanks for the heads up about what causes the worst gas ever. I can't stand when people over share on facebook about sick babies and pet abuse. What is their problem? You are ok in my book brenda, just a real girl with real life sharing. Those curls are perfect, keep sharing. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...