3.02.2012

Modern Vintage Shop & Social

A friend at work sent me a link for this event last week hosted by Quarter Life: The Beltway's Best Vintage and Thrift. When I saw that the event involved food, other vintage lovers, and shopping, I immediately took the day off of work so I could go. 

Never mind that it was in an area that I'd never heard of. Never mind that I've rarely ventured in DC outside of the monuments and museums. Also, never mind that I had never navigated the Metro by myself nor was I about to drive right into the city during rush hour. Ah, but minor details!

The rain almost turned me into a bum that day, but I wasn't about to waste a vacation day sitting in sweatpants perusing Pintrest. So I put on one of my favorite vintage dresses, slipped into my red rain boots, and decided I was going, gosh darnit!

My genius plan was to drive to Alexandria and park there to ride the Metro to Capitol Heights. After trying three separate stops until I finally found one with parking, I clomped in and got my adventure off to a great start by accidently putting twenty dollars on a fare card. Again, minor detail. I would use it for all the future trips I would make into the city. The trip itself was surprisingly smooth, and I arrived at Nana with plenty of time to spare. 

In fact, I was that awkward first person to the party.

But the gals at the shop were so sweet and welcoming, and Miss Lisa and I discovered a Pennsylvania connection almost right away. Not to mention the place was adorable, and they had cookies...and beer...and hummus...and cucumber sandwich things. 


Rockin' the rain boots. Photo by Lisa.




People starting trickling in and soon the place was abuzz with new and old friends and vintage lovers squealing over all the fabulous clothes and jewelry. The best thing about being at an event with fellow bloggers was that you could pull your camera out and start snapping photos and there were no weird looks.






Overall, it was a great time and I made some new friends (hey Thrift and Style, Tulle and Combat Boots, and Naja Diamond!) And I walked away with a lovely new purse--photos coming soon.

I left with a little extra bounce in my rain boot step, arrived at the Metro to go home, and realized that I lost the fare card. Which still had 17 bucks on it. I hiked back to the shop with no luck, and back to the station to buy a new one. 

So, you're welcome whoever found a free gift on the ground.

I would say it was worth it.




7 comments:

  1. That shop looks ultra fun and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great day despite minor setbacks! What did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugg...lost the metro card. That sucks. Glad you braved the odds and made it. Next time will be much easier. What a nice event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so amazing -- a blogger social AND vintage shopping?! I am very jealous. Your photos are so much fun; I can't decide if my favorite is the jewelry table or the one of you in the mirror with that hilarious sign above you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so nice to meet you! I feel your pain about the metro hijinks! That sucks to have lost the metro card. If it makes you feel better, after I got home, I lost mine! But there was a negative amount on it, haha. So now I'm using a farecard!

    Anyways, lovely photos & hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so many beautiful pieces! I especially love the dresses.

    See Me Rwar

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...