4.10.2012

Grown Up Easter

Well friends, this Easter marked the first official holiday hosted in the Brodie Abode. 

It was strange waking up here in Virginia and not having a trail of plastic eggs to follow to the Easter Bunny's presents. Nope, you know you are a grown up when you wake up and your immediate thought on Easter morning is the brunch that you are preparing for your in-laws. 


I thought I had it planned to a tee. I pre-baked the pie crusts for the quiche and mixed up the pineapple stuffing. After church, we returned home with Ian's parents and it was time to work my magic. 

So for my first trick, I had the pie crust with eggs, cheese, ham, and cream overflow in the oven, which quickly turned our basement apartment into a smoky inferno. I thought it was just a little bit of bubbling over, but when I noticed that there was a steady stream pouring into the bottom of the oven, I got really hot, my bangs started sticking to my forehead, and I was officially in freak out mode. 

With some quick thinking, Ian helped me put the quiches into glass pie plates which temporarily stopped the overflow and for the time being, all was well again.

Until about five minutes later, when the pan of oil sitting on the stove waiting for the hash brown potatoes got really, really hot. I had visions of a flaming pan starting forest fires in Virginia, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash of orange as Ian poured the potatoes into the pan. A freaking potato ignited.

After cursing very loudly in front of Ian's parents (sorry....!!) I commanded that Ian take the pan outside and set it on the ground before dumping the rest of the potatoes in it. It didn't take long for those suckers to be done, but the quiche was still bubbling away in the oven. Taking much, much longer than it was supposed to.

So we had our first course--hash browns and pineapple stuffing--while I checked on the oven every five seconds. What a feast.


Finally, the knife came out clean when I stuck it in the middle and we had ourselves some delicious ham and cheese quiche. (If you're wondering, I made the recipe from Taste of Home and it turned out amazing. Minus the overflow...)

The smoke dissipated, I started breathing again, and although my bangs might have been a little more curly, everything turned out great.

Of course, an Easter basket filled with movies, candy, and a giant peanut butter meltaway egg sure was a highlight.


9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the quiche turned out ok after all! It sounds like a great meal in the end! And your necklace is super cute!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what an eventful day! So glad everything turned out for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it all worked out in the end! This is why we always go out to eat when my mother-in-law comes to visit though, hehe. Is there a link to the pineapple stuffing recipe? It sounds delicious!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are once again, funny. I love your stories. So full of adorable little details,(bangs sticking to forehead). It all worked out...quiche sound so good right now. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, it wouldn't be a holiday if there wasn't at least one kitchen disaster right?! All in all it sounds like you had a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Peanut Butter Egg...yum. I'd be all over it. What's hosting a dinner without some hiccups? Looks like everything came out okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a tray of eggs in the oven for a St. Patrick's Day brunch and the same thing happened! And then the eggs that were still left in the pan took forever to cook. What are we doing wrong? It seems so simple.

    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your stories so much! I have so many of these cooking moments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Turner Classic Movie collections packs are my favorite! I hope to collect them all some day. There is nothing like an old film, especially if you keep your eye on the fashion!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...