8.13.2012

Wishing and Hoping

Signs that you wish it was Fall:

You start wearing sweaters and jackets as soon as the temperature goes below 75 degrees.

You cut your bangs on a whim because you figure that if you are going to go through the trouble to cut them, the weather should at least cooperate.

You wear a long maxi dress on a 90 degree day to an outdoor rally in Manassas for a certain presidential candidate that you won't talk about on the blog because you hate politics and don't want to be associated either way, but you figured it would be a fun day with the husband and Manassas has some cute shops and restaurants.


I bought this dress for 4.99 at Unique in Falls Church on a recent shopping trip with my mom and sister  because I loved the lightweight fabric and the stripes. There are no dressing rooms at Unique, so when I pulled it on over my tank top and shorts in the middle of the store, it felt a little tight but I figured it would be perfect once there was nothing else underneath. I was actually right. Even though it fits pretty snug, the zig zag pattern creates a slimming effect. Especially when I suck in my stomach a bit. 


Even though the fabric is very breathable, a long dress just wasn't the right choice for a hot day in the sun. By the end of the day, after standing for many hours packed very closely to people who did not smell very nice in the heat, I didn't care about sucking in my stomach anymore. That's the beauty of living in an area where you don't generally run into people you know. I didn't feel self conscious about letting a little belly poke out which people probably just thought looked like a little baby bump. (Hint: it's not.) I also had been vigilant about not letting my white bra show, but as you can see from the photo above, I didn't worry about that for too long either. The bangs ended up pinned out of my face too. 

So what did we learn here? Wishful thinking makes you hot. And for God's sake, don't cut your bangs in the middle of August.

13 comments:

  1. I hear you on the wishful thinking! On our trip to Vermont this weekend, I didn't pack any shorts because the high was "only 85." Just because 85 is lower than the 95 we've had here recently doesn't mean it's fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a long sleeve dress and a tank in that zig zag pattern. It really hides a tummy quite well.

    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty dress, love maxi dresses and the print is very cool.

    LOVE BO,
    PurePreciousPerfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors mixed and the print of that dress. Perfect for august!
    http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com//

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable maxi dress! So jealous you got it for only $5! I have to go with a shorter dress when it's crazy hot out.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my JEWELIQ Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am the worst when it comes to snap decisions like cutting your bangs! but, you still look beautiful! as for the bra, carrie bradshaw always showed her bra straps, and she's one of the most fashionable characters out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that dress! I really love the warm weather so I'm happy that it's summer BUT-I can tell I'm in a Summer wardrobe slump because it's so hard for me to dig something out of my closet every morning for work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look wonderful irregardless; the dress really looks good on you. I hear you on the snap fashion decisions....I really need to stop grabbing the scissors and chopping my own hair off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, i LOVE!! I have an obsession with anything maxi & cotton. Throw a denim jacket or chambray shirt over it and wear in into fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post. For a $5 dress, it was a great find! Too bad it was just THAT warm.
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the long dress!!!
    Kiss kiss

    Www.theitaliansmoothie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. THATS RIGHT EMBRACE YOUR BEAUTY AND FLAWS...THATS WHAT MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL

    FOLLOWING HOPE YOU DO THE SAME

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look awesome, LOVE that necklace!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...