5.26.2011

Hello, Summer.

Here in Central PA, we have two seasons: summer and winter-- when it's not unbearably cold it is unbearably hot, with a few comfortable days thrown in between. 

With little warning, summer has arrived at full force. Dressing up at these temperatures seems a bit redundant considering I'm just going to sweat off all the makeup and feel uncomfortable, but I've been trying to find ways to keep my summer looks simple yet stylish. Not to mention I get a wonderful sense of accomplishment when I wear an outfit that was (almost!) completely thrifted and super cheap.

I mentioned this blue tank from the Allentown Goodwill in this post, where I also told the story of the beloved flower bag, which has become a staple of my wardrobe (seriously! It goes with EVERYTHING!). The shorts are from Gabriel Bros. in Altoona, (which if you have never checked out, you need to--think TJ Maxx meets Ollie's. I promise, it's great.) which are Express brand that I got for eight dollars. Why were they so cheap? Because they're missing the button. When I wear them, I just fasten them short with a fun brooch--this one is from Clothes Mentor, a new consignment shop that just opened in State College. The seed necklace was a garage sale find from many, many years ago that I'm pretty sure sat in my dress-up trunk all throughout my childhood. 

Since my curly hair does not react well to the summer heat, I've found my go-to summer hairstyle that I have been doing almost every day since the temperature has skyrocketed--it's just a quick and easy messy updo where I just twist go crazy with bobby pins. I also (was just talked into buying at the salon) bought some awesome Redken Radiant Sea Salt spray that adds great texture. Come on--it smells FANTASTIC, and the girl told me it would be perfect for Jamaica. Plus, I had a 20% off coupon. 


What are your staple summer looks?

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your hair like that! I wish I could master the twist-and-pin, but I mostly just look crazy when I try it, I think. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sooo much!

    It really is super easy. I divide my hair into two sections (like you would for pigtails), and twist the first one around the other, as if my hair is securing a ponytail. I pin that, and then twist the other section the other way around that. Then I just bobby pin whatever is sticking out or looks goofy. I hope that's not too confusing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...