7.02.2013

24

Every year on my birthday, I think back to what I was doing the previous year. Last year at this time, we had been without power for days after a huge storm. The year before that, I was making last-minute wedding preparations. My 24th birthday comes on a Tuesday, a week day where Ian is in Philly for a conference and I am enjoying a cup of coffee and the Today Show in a quiet house before I have to go to work. Over the years I have come to make less and less a big deal about my birthday. When I was kid, having a summer birthday meant no school and a whole day to do whatever I wanted. Now that I'm working, I understand how those kids felt who always had to go to school on their birthday. I could take a vacation day, but let's be honest, when you only have so many days to take off during the year do you really want to use a precious day when everyone else would be at work anyway? 

I've come to realize that celebrating birthdays aren't so much about what you do or how much money you spend, but rather about the people in your life who you spend it with and are thankful for every day. Ian and I celebrated a little early on Sunday with brunch at the Silver Diner and some shopping.

Please enjoy my sunburnt forehead, pulled back bangs, and expression of sheer joy at the fruity mimosa I was about to slurp down with a big-ass straw.


Here's to being 24, the exciting age before 25, which is the exciting age before 30.
OH gosh..............


5 comments:

  1. Aw Happy 24th Bday! Enjoy your day! :)
    Kinda nervous about 25 myself. lol! Gosh time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo young!! I agree that when you get older it's not about presents or having some big bash. It's just about the people you are with and enjoying the day the way you want to. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday!!!!! enjoy your day, and enjoy those who spend it with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, friend! Ah, 24. I remember it like it was 5 years ago... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!! I hope you were spoiled. That mimosa looks divine! Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...