1.11.2011

Invitations from the Wedding Sweatshop

Greetings from the apartment sauna.



As I sit here with my third cup of coffee, awake much earlier than I have ever had to be thanks to my one and only 8:00am class I've been blessed with my entire college career (which my major so nicely forces us to take our last semester), I figured now would be a great time to blog about my very first wedding DIY project that took place this weekend!

My goal for the last week of winter break was to get my invitations done. Yes, that meant MAKE them, no easy task when I decided that the invitations I had designed over Thanksgiving break were not at all what I wanted. I sat at the computer for hours, pouring over other people's invitations I found on Google for inspiration. I knew I wanted ours to be unique, not your typical cursive font on white paper with a bow tied around it. I tried to recreate the ones I liked on Microsoft Publisher to no avail, all the while wondering if I should just suck it up and pay a professional to do it. But this crafty gal was not to be defeated.

I finally found an invitation template I loved in this book, one of my Christmas presents, and set to work to create one myself to see if it could be done. I made a quick excursion to Michael's, where I picked up some blank invitations, cardstock, and an eleven dollar rubber stamp--kind of a splurge for me. While I tried to follow the step-by-step instructions, I found my own creativity taking over until in the end, I had created something that was nothing like the picture in the book. But you know what? I loved it.

Step 2: Time to make 150 of them. Enter some crafty, beautiful bridesmaids.

With the aid of mimosas, egg and sausage casserole, and chocolate chip scones, these lovely ladies helped mass produce these homemade wonders. In the apartment sweatshop...that right there is true dedication.


A couple hours later?


And they are staying far, far away from the makeshift humidifier.

3 comments:

  1. Found you on 20sb, DYI Wedding Bloggers - Those are really beautiful! I'm planning on making my own invitations as well, but I think we're going to stamp them. I have a friend who sells Stampin' Up so (hopefully) all will work out! At least I know it's possible now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thank you so much for joining our blogging community! Your blog has been featured today and I used this post because I love the invitations. Good friends, some food, make some invitations, it looks like fun! Brag about being featured, you deserve it! If you'd like to grab a button for the directory and being featured, they are located at the bottom of our blog. Thanks again, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Thanks Heather! I'll go check it out. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll bake you cookies. Maybe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...